Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Catching lightning


It poured heavily that night. One of those thunderstorms Tel-Aviv should be famous for. There's a lot of sea near by, that being the reason I guess...
It was a few years back. My photography hobby was still an incurable obsession so I just had to go up to the roof. My mind was set on capturing my first thunder bolt, freezing it, posting it to pbase. A photographic cliche I had not conquered before (and would not attempt to conquere again till this very day).

She refused to come up with me. It was an easily understandable refusal. Who would want to go out in the cold and rain without a purpose of his own? Mind you this photography habit of mine already stretched her patience to the maximum, but there was something else in her refusal. A scent of contempt maybe? I could feel it but wasn't aware of it at the time. A typical abnormality of mine.
Should I have been more keen on sharing our time, rather then chase a comment or an increment of view counts? Of course.

Possessed by my mission and despite her refusals I did go up alone. I setup my tripod and waited. Trying to capture a lighting bolt is tricky. It can hit anywhere. At anytime. There's no predicting it. As I was hopelessly looking for a right spot to place my tripod, I remembered the old saying about lightening not striking twice in the same place. So I settled for the position I was in and waited, patiently.

I don't remember how long it took but I did manage to capture one. By that time I was completely soaked, from head to toe, and my camera as well. God knows how over caring I was with that sub-$500 camera. When I returned home to dry I found her dosing off on the couch. I told her of my accomplishment, and she awoke herself briefly, and smiled her typical smile.
I could feel she was happy for me, but not for herself.


1 comment:

  1. wow. i'm speechless (and u know i'm usually not...). it almost made me cry.

    ReplyDelete